We take our name from our founder, Lady Elizabeth Hastings (1682-1739) who lived at Ledston Hall and in whose estates the village of Collingham was situated. It is one of several schools founded by Lady Hastings and continues to provide a sound, Christian education for its scholars as was her wish. In more recent years the school has become a Church of England Aided School, the link with the Lady Elizabeth Hastings' Education Foundation remains and the Foundation still gives practical support to the school and its scholars in its day-to-day work.
The present school, built in 1967, is situated at the junction of Harewood Road and Linton Road, close to the centre of the village of Collingham. The school has seven classrooms, an ICT suite and research area, a flexible workspace area, large hall/gymnasium, library, separate infant and junior playgrounds and extensive playing fields. We have recently had all our windows and doors replaced so the classrooms look even more bright and cheerful.
In 2005 we opened our “Quad”. This is a large bright extra teaching space which is used for a wide range of activities. It contains:
We are well equipped and resourced to deliver all areas of the curriculum, with facilities provided through Education Leeds funding and supported by the Hastings' Education Foundation and an active (and generous) Parent-Teacher Association.
The school is a secure and welcoming community of children and adults, where each person is valued. Its aims and ethos have developed from the Christian principles upon which it was founded. Every effort is made to provide a caring environment in which children are happy in their education. This school understands itself to be an integral part of the local community and parish and seeks to work in partnership with both