Week 5 - 4/5/20 (summer term 1) – TOPIC: PLANTS
- Spelling Test yourself on ‘Jumping red words’– both, bath, buy, caught, down, does and also Words to Log and Learn from 2B Unit 11 – Adding the suffix – ful: thankful, careful, thoughtful, colourful, hopeful, wonderful
New Spellings – 2B Unit 12 – adding the suffix – less: fearless, hopeless, toothless, useless, homeless, pointless, restless, careless, endless, thoughtless, harmless, thankless, harmless, faultless, sleepless, helpless. Practise adding and removing the suffix -less. What do the root words look like? Do you need to ‘add, double or drop’ letters? Have a go at dots and dashes for the root words – see PDF below. New ‘Jumping red words’ – eye, even, her, half, full, whole.
Can you use all of this week’s spellings in sentences?
- Phonics – the ‘ow/ou’ sound. ‘ow’ as in brown, cow, down, town, now, how; ‘ou’ as in out, shout, loud, mouth, round, found, sound, pound, bound. Can you spot/read these graphemes in your reading? Can you spell words with these spelling patterns? Can you make lists with each pattern? Play ‘Fred Fingers’ and sound the words out with dots and dashes like we do at school so cow = ._ and loud =._. We have a dot for one letter one sound and a dash for more than one letter per sound.
There are practice games on the RWInc website in the spelling practice zone for all the phonics. This sound is on page 3 of the collection.
Have a go at the online reading activity on Kids Classroom Secrets. Choose Year 2, reading and it’s on page 2. Can you draw and label a flowering plant? Write a fact file giving information about the different parts of a plant and what their jobs are.
Keep reading traditional tales - there are some on the RWInc site - looking for recurring language, great phrases and try retelling your favourite stories. We'll be looking at another one in detail next week.
- Grammar & Punctuation – possessive apostrophes. We have done contraction apostrophes when an apostrophe replaces missing letters e.g. do + not » don
ot » don’t. Now we are going to learn about when we use an apostrophe to show that something belongs to someone. Check out the apostrophes for possession activity booklet below. See PDF file below. It has a parent’s guide and some activities to have a go at.
- Maths Practice – doubles, halves and quarters 1 a day. See word Doc below for 1 a day practice
- Maths Topic – Capacity – see word doc below for activities plus notes and guidance on the last page. Explore and compare capacities and volumes of different containers. Have a look around your home for containers and see if you can find out how much liquid they will hold. We measure liquid using litres(l) and millilitres (ml).
- Science –Twinkle Go activities code OA1805 – These are some activities to recap and deepen understanding of plant parts from Year 1. You could check out BBC Bitesize Wednesday 6th May science lesson about parts of a plant.
Bitesize also has lots of other plant information and interactive content
Hopefully your seeds have started to grow and you have been keeping a seed diary with pictures and sentences showing how the seeds have changed over days. Now you can answer, ‘What do seeds need to grow?’. My pea seeds are very tiny but they are growing now. See pics below. I need to wait a bit longer before I can do the investigation.
As posted in Week 3 - Investigation – What do plants need to stay healthy? Choose 3 of your plants that you are growing (once they have become small plants) and give 1 – water and sun, 2- water but no sun, 3- sun but no water. Predict what might happen. Observe over time – watch your plants and see what happens. Keep a record of what you see. Write down what you have found out about what plants need to stay healthy.
- R. E. Watch the Islamic story of the Prophet and the ants and The Crying Camel.
Retell one of these stories and say how the story might inspire people today.
- PSHE – Keeping safe. Do you have any rules to keep you safe in and around your home? How do you stay safe at home? You could make a poster/ list or discuss - continued. What about rules for staying safe outdoors? This is an unusual time and our outdoor rules are quite different at the moment.
- Computing – 2Go – create algorithms but this time use 2Go. Check out Purple Mash 2dos and there’s a new one on 2Go. This week explore moving the sprites around the maps. The first one is a bee that has to visit flowers.