Week 7 - 18/5/20 (summer term 1) – TOPIC: PLANTS
- Spelling Test yourself on ‘Jumping red words’– money, most, other, only, over, pretty and also Words to Log and Learn from2B Unit 13 – adding the suffix – ment: treatment, amazement, measurement, attachment, movement, government
New Spellings – 2B Unit 14 – words ending in – tion: caption, nation, section, potion, option, fiction, motion, station, lotion, affection, expedition, ambition, fraction, vacation. It’s all about the ‘sh’ sound spelt ‘ti’ – see transcript below. Have a look at the ‘sh’ column in the sounds chart on pg 6 of your spelling Log Book. How many different ways are there to spell the ‘sh’ sound? Have a go at the 2 ‘sh’ spotting activity sheets - see PDF below. Make a chart with all the ‘sh’ words that you find in the story. Also have a go at ‘dots and dashes’ – see PDF below. New ‘Jumping red words’ – path, sugar, sure, two, worse. (Only 5 words – I know! That’s because there were only 5 new words left to learn out of the whole list of Y2 red words! That’s right we’ve finished the whole list. Well done everybody – power house points all round! But after half term we’ll revisit the red words that we put back on the wall under the smart board. There are a few that we found tricky so we’ll have another go.)
Can you use all of this week’s spellings in sentences?
- Phonics- the ‘shon’ sound spelt ‘tion’ as in conversation, celebration, exploration, tradition, congratulation, attention. Can you spot/read these graphemes in your reading? Can you spell words with this spelling pattern? Can you use the words in sentences? Play ‘Fred Fingers’ and sound the words out with dots and dashes like we do at school so conversation = …._.._.. We have a dot for one letter one sound and a dash for more than one letter per sound. Can you break the words into syllables so con/vers/a/tion ?
- Reading – non fiction (science) – Have a go at the reading comprehension ‘Sunflower Plant Life Cycle – see PDF below. Can you draw your own pictures of the sunflower plant life cycle?
- Writing – Science – Complete/ continue your seed diary and science investigation write ups with diagrams. There is also a sheet you could use as an extra see PDF below called 'Fruit plant growth sequencing'. You could use your own sentences or pictures.
- Grammar & Punctuation – adding description to writing - noun phrases (recap + new learning). See link below to watch a short 'Bitesize' video below about how they work and the introduction of how we can use a comma with adjectives. Can you use some good noun phrases in your science writing?
- Maths – Practice – Multiplication tables (Purple Mash 2Do), 3X table (Purple Mash 2Do) Statistics (Purple Mash 2Dos), Statistics (Sumdog), time and other measures (Sumdog)
- Maths – Topic – Measurement – consolidation – Have a go at the end of block assessments PDF below. They are mini assessments to check how your learning is going. There is one for measuring length and the other is for mass, capacity and temperature. There is also a Twinkl maths measuring activity booklet see zip folder below.
- Science – Continue / complete 1. Seed diary and 2. Plant investigation. What have you found out from your investigation? What did your results tell you? What do plants need to stay healthy? Was you prediction correct? Extra – You could investigate what effect warmth has on plants and create an investigation recording you findings.
- R.E./D.T. – complete your prayer mat. Answer the question, ‘Who is Muslim and what do they believe?’. Evaluate your prayer mat. Does it reflect Islam? Is it well made? What are you most proud of?
- Computing – 2Go programming (Purple Mash 2Dos). Have a go at creating a set of instructions (algorithm) to program the bee to visit the flowers. There are 2 to have a go at. Can you create a program so the bee doesn’t go over the same path twice? There are videos to help you if you get stuck. If it all goes horribly wrong just open a new page (top left purple choice tab) and start again. Can you make the bee get back home to the centre?