Our Class Reader continues to be 'Pig Heart Boy' by Malorie Blackman. This fits with our science topic for Spring 1.
Mrs Myers: We will be continuing with our picture book, Fox, where we will be writing the final chapter of the book, in the style of Margaret Wild. Can the children write a fitting end in 50 words or less? Let's wait and see...
Following on from this, the children will be writing an explanation text about blood, using solo hexonomy for planning their writing.
Reading: the children will be learning through reading - much of their knowledge about the circulatory system will be learnt this way. This will be used as the basis of our reading comprehensions/ guided reading. Alongside this, we will be continuing with 'Book Talk': or new books are 'Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief' (Rick Riordan); and 'Robot Girl' (Malorie Blackman). Which book you read depends on which groups you are in.
Children to be able to understand what they read by:
- checking that the book makes sense to them, discussing their understanding and exploring the meaning of words in context
- asking questions to improve their understanding
- drawing inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions, and justifying inferences with evidence
- predicting what might happen from details stated and implied
- summarising the main ideas drawn from more than one paragraph, identifying key details that support the main ideas
- identifying how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning
- discuss and evaluate how authors use language, including figurative language, considering the impact on the reader
- distinguish between statements of fact and opinion
- retrieve, record and present information from non-fiction
- participate in discussions about books that are read to them and those they can read for themselves, building on their own and others’ ideas and challenging views courteously
- explain and discuss their understanding of what they have read, including through formal presentations and debates, maintaining a focus on the topic and using notes where necessary
- provide reasoned justifications for their views.
We will be covering the following and evidencing them in our writing:
- Active and Passive sentences
- Using colons to introduce a list and semi colons in the list
- Using semi colons to demarcate clauses
- Using colons to demarcate clauses
Read Write Inc. Spellings
Alongside these will be the orange words, these are spellings on the word list for Year 5 and 6. A copy of these can be found in the back of their spelling logs.