Our Class Reader will be 'Pig Heart Boy' by Malorie Blackman.
Mrs Myers: We will be using three different books called, Voices in the Park, Fox and FArTHER to create some short pieces of narrative writing.
- ‘Voices in the Park’ – Scene setting.
- ‘Fox’ – character descriptions.
- ‘Fox’ – The new final chapter
- ‘FArTHER’ – The day dad remembered me.
Miss Hicks: We will be creating a balanced argument about the 'Invention of the Lightbulb'.
Reading: Linked to the picture books mentioned above.
Children to be able to understand what they read by:
- checking that the book makes sense to them, discussing their understanding and exploring the meaning of words in context
- asking questions to improve their understanding
- drawing inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions, and justifying inferences with evidence
- predicting what might happen from details stated and implied
- summarising the main ideas drawn from more than one paragraph, identifying key details that support the main ideas
- identifying how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning
- discuss and evaluate how authors use language, including figurative language, considering the impact on the reader
- distinguish between statements of fact and opinion
- retrieve, record and present information from non-fiction
- participate in discussions about books that are read to them and those they can read for themselves, building on their own and others’ ideas and challenging views courteously
- explain and discuss their understanding of what they have read, including through formal presentations and debates, maintaining a focus on the topic and using notes where necessary
- provide reasoned justifications for their views.
We will be covering the following and evidencing them in our writing:
- Noun phrases
- Cohesive Devices across paragraphs (including ellipses)
- Commas to demarcate clauses
- Punctuation of bullet points to list information
Read Write Inc. Spellings
Unit 1 – 4 focuses on revising the different suffixes.
Alongside these will be the orange words, these are spellings on the word list for Year 5 and 6. A copy of these can be found in the back of their spelling logs.