Creation & Science – Are these ideas conflicting or complementary?
In our latest RE topic, we will be learning about the creation story and the big bang theory.
Children will be able to:
- Outline the importance of Creation on the timeline of the ‘big story’ of the Bible.
- Identify what type of text some Christians say Genesis 1 is, and its purpose.
- Taking account of the context, suggest what Genesis 1 might mean, and compare their ideas with ways in which Christians interpret it, showing awareness of different interpretations.
- Make clear connections between Genesis 1 and Christian belief about God as Creator.
- Show understanding of why many Christians find science and faith go together.
- Identify key ideas arising from their study of Genesis 1 and comment on how far these are helpful or inspiring, justifying their responses.
- Weigh up how far the Genesis 1 creation narrative is in conflict, or is complementary, with a scientific account.