Our new science topic will be a biology topic:
Living things and their habitats
Pupils should be taught to:
- describe how living things are classified into broad groups according to common observable characteristics and based on similarities and differences, including micro-organisms, plants and animals
- Pupils might work scientifically by: using classification systems and keys to identify some animals and plants in the immediate environment. They will research unfamiliar animals and plants from a broad range of other habitats and decide where they belong in the classification system.
- give reasons for classifying plants and animals based on specific characteristics
- Pupils will find out about the significance of the work of scientists such as Carl Linnaeus, a pioneer of classification.
- Pupils will learn more about bacteria and microorganisms.