To ensure that children receive continuity between the end of Year 5 and Year 6, this year’s maths curriculum is based upon the Y5 and Y6 curriculum.
- Place Value: read, write, order and compare numbers from 10,000 (Y5) up to 10,000,000 (Y6) and determine the value of each digit. Rounding decimals and converting decimals/fractions.
- Four Rules: perform mental and formal calculations of whole numbers and decimals in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division - applying to reasoning problems.
- BIDMAS/BODMAS: use knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four number operations. Children need to know the meanings of both as BODMAS is the old curriculum and BIDMAS is the new!
- Fractions: Equivalents, simplifying, ordering fractions, mixed numbers and improper fractions, fractions on a line and calculations around fractions.
- Geometry – Position and Direction: One quadrant, four quadrants, translations and reflections.